Celebrate Saginaw's

150th

Birthday

all this year!

 

 

 

The Grand Alderton Complex

 

The three building complex, that stands on 300 South Niagara Street from Cass Street to Van Buren Street,  has a proud and storied history.

 

The Alderton name has a rich history in Old Saginaw.    In 1867, George Alderton opened the G.A. Alderton Company on South Water Street near Perry, specializing in spices for the lumbering camps in the Saginaw Valley.    George recognized that there was an emerging market for a wholesale grocer in the area and established the G.A. Wholesale Grocery Company at 317 South Water Street, near Van Buren Street.   During the creation of the City of Saginaw, from East Saginaw and West Saginaw, the street name had to be changed as Water Street existed on both sides of the river.    The G.A. Alderton Wholesale Grocery Company would now be on South Niagara Street.    The company was growing rapidly near the turn of the century and needed room to expand.    Mr. Alderton purchased the vacant property just north of his existing building.   Construction started in 1902 and was completed in 1904 on the 3 story brick and limestone building.    The company would be moving next door from 7,200 square feet of space to 28,000 square feet.  The company would continue to grow and prosper.

 

In 1945 the Alderton Wholesale Grocery was sold.   The buildings were used over the next 50 years as a warehouse, distribution center, lease space, and finally as the Trippensee Planetarium Company and Wildlife Supply Company.    The building had been vacant since the Trippensee and Wildlife Supply had moved to Buffalo, NY in the late 1990ís.

 

The next chapter for these great buildings will be to adapt them to residential loft living combined with commercial, retail, and office spaces.

 

Giorgis Investment Company in partnership with Inman Planning and Design will be restoring, renovating and remodeling the three building complex in three phases over the next 18 months.   The project will be an anchor in the revitalization of Old Town Saginaw and the beginning of many new residential projects.

 

Back to Top


Copyright 2002-06, Inman Planning and Design. All rights reserved.
For problems or questions regarding this web contact the Webmaster.
Last updated: June 05, 2007.